2010年2月13日 星期六

Learning from the Masters 3

The first one is based on a 1600 Islamic work. The second one is based on Edward Lear's work.







Posteed January 29, 2010:



These are based on Peter Paul Rubens' work. First one is vine charcoal. The second piece with pan pastels and soft pastels - I didn't even have a color photo of the painting and based it on a black and white photo and did my own colors and girth. His work is called Leda and the Swan. The next three are colored pencils based  on the work of Juan Conchillos Falco in 1701.







Posted January 13, 2010:



This one is based on Paul Gaugin's self portrait. I've used pan pastels liberally  and other pastel sticks fpr details for this huge piece of paper of 12 x 17.5 inch. I'll crop the hand off and might consider framing it.







Posted January 9, 2010:



A copy after Renoir's work.







Posted December 15, 2009:



This one is based on Michelangelo's work in the Sistine Chapel: One of the ignudi above the Prophet Ezechiel. Soft pastel on Art Spectrum Colourfix paper.




Posted December 11, 2009:



The first one is based on Willem Van De Velde's Rough Sea and the second one is based on Jan Van Goyen's work: The Oak.







Posted December 2, 2009:



More Degas and the next one is based on Thomas Gainsborough's work. The next one is based on John Robert Cozen's work.







Posted November 21, 2009:



I've been working so much I'm running out of time and drawing took a bit of a backseat. But here's a quick sketch of one of Degas ballet dancers in hard pastels. 




Posted November 14, 2009:



A couple of days ago, I finished reading the manual Kama Sutra. It is really a manual of ancient India that teaches the public what makes a gentleman and what they could do to entertain themselves with what type of women and etc. There are these descriptive passages of how to approach a girl in bed.  Then last night I was browsing through the book Kama Shilpa which is a collection of sculptures of some of the positions described in Kama Sutra. OMG, these are real statues in temples and they show everything imaginable. Some older statesmen wanted them destroyed but in the end, they were preserved because they were supposed to be guidance for young men and young girl in the art of love and part of India's heritage. Here are two that I like especially. The others are too explicit to draw. The third one was based on a painting of 1900 of a certain prince I think. I fell asleep a couple of times while doing the necklaces and the pearls. Edit: One more piece today.







Posted October 22, 2009:



I am now imitating the ancient work of Persian art but I put more colors in mine. The next three are my creations but with the style of Bill Peet. The last one is my graphite rendition of ink engravings of the 18th century America.







Posted October 11, 2009:



This one is following Leonardo Da Vinci's St. John the Baptist and of course I gave it pop colors. Soft pastel.







Posted October 7, 2009:



I continue to work with this piece of Botticelli's Primavera and here, the Three Graces, I have declothed them.







Posted October 3, 2009:



I'm copying the style of Bill Peet, the illustrator of 37 children's books and this one is based on a photo from the October landscape challenge at Wetcanvas and I've cartoonized it. I think Bill Peet used mostly colored pencils but I don't have patience for color pencils when it comes to large blocks of color and I used Cretacolor Carre Hard Pastel sticks and overpaid with Pentel Calligraphy Pocket Brushpen which doesn't scratch like all pens. The second one I did this afternoon. It took me four hours but I enjoyed for the first time using soft pastel. This is on 600 grit dark gray sandpaper from the hardware store and it's following Botticelli's Primavera.






Posted September 23, 2009:



The first two are on sanded surface of Mi-Teinted Pastel Paper and Charcoal paper and the third one is on 400 grit sandpaper from hardware store following the works of Tiepolo and the last two are Rubens.



xyz



Posted September 15, 2009:



This one was really hard because it was in soft pastel on a piece of cardboard and I was wearing a work glove and the colors kept smudging. It's based on a piece by Reuben. Next time, I'm going to do it in oil pastel or oil paint. Soft pastel is too hard and too dusty.





Posted September 14, 2009:



Tonight, I finally took a look at Gustav Klimt's work. He has quite an elegant touch to his girls, not as raw as Schiele's work. But I don't think I'll go about copying his work. The clothing are so ornate. But this piece is inspired by his piece, Young Girl.  And another tribute to Marc Chagall. I have to try drawing flying people no matter how. This piece is inspired by his piece, The Painter to the Moon. Mine is called "Lovers to the Moon". I put a fresco filter on it and I like it better. Yesterday I did one piece based on his stained glass work but with my lovebirds in.




Posted August 22, 2009:



An attempt on Wanda Gag's piece.




Posted August 20, 2009:



I continue to learn from the 1872 engravings from the book America Was Beautiful. I used Chinese brush and ink for the palm tree. Why work so hard to duplicate brush strokes with a small 0.25 mm black pen.

xyz












沒有留言:

張貼留言